“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
There may be no greater gift than helping a friend land a job and an opportunity to reach their full potential — independence, self-sufficiency, leadership skills and a sense of belonging. Plus, co-workers, employers and customers will have their eyes opened to the value that people with disabilities bring to the workforce. That’s a priceless gift for our society that will have ripple effects way beyond what you might imagine.
Here’s what you can do:
Follow the steps below or choose ones that work for you. The same steps work for parents, service providers and other loved ones.
- Assess interest areas
- Determine implications on benefits
- Draft resume
- Network – Ask co-workers, relatives, and neighbors for ideas. Help create a LinkedIn account
- Apply for jobs
- Explore intern/volunteer opportunities
- Research prospective companies
- Troubleshoot transportation
- Prepare for interviews
- Support and advocate for your friend.
- Help your friend budget